The Braincalm Program™ is NOT intended to build body strength (although this can be a positive by product) but it IS INTENDED to brain organise & brain calm children. So the focus for this program is on the BRAIN and not on the body.
Children must have a certain level of physical ability to take part in the Braincalm Program™ and it is up to each parent or Braincalm Program™ Practitioner in school to use their own judgement to decide if a child has the ability to take part or not.
** If a child is already receiving OT (Occupational therapy) and or PT (physiotherapy) you should consult with the therapist before starting.
In order to take part in the Braincalm Program™ the child must be able to
- Walk without help
- Be able to do a basic jump
- Be able to crawl
- Have a basic level of balance where he/she can stand on a basic cushion (even a material cushion) without help
- Be able to walk across a piece of tape on the floor without falling over.
- Not become excessively nauseous or dizzy when going from sit to stand or from lying down to standing
- Have a basic ability to follow directions (verbal or non verbal)
** Please note: children with previous brain surgery, an existing brain tumour or any spinal injury or previous surgery should NOT participate in the Braincalm Program™